Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Day the NATAS Broke My Heart

The Daytime Emmy nominations were announced today and, for the second year in a row, the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences opted not to nominate Blake Berris for his amazing performance as Nick Fallon on Days of Our Lives. To say that I'm disappointed would be an understatement. I was baffled last year when Blake was shut out of the race but to have it happen again this year just feels incomprehensible. I'm perplexed and I'm upset. It sounds arrogant and mildly delusional to say that I'm taking this personally but I'm still so emotionally invested in Nick, and still so in awe of what Blake was able to bring to the role, that it's hard not to feel wounded on a personal level by the back-to-back snubs. 

Blake, for what it's worth, you touched a lot of people (myself included, obviously) with your portrayal of Nick. And I'm so proud of you. It feels kind of weird saying that to someone I don't really know, like it's too personal or something, but I'm saying it anyway because, well, I am proud of you. I'm proud of the character you brought to such vibrant life on Days. I'm proud of the story you told with that character. I'm proud of the chances you took on the show and the extraordinary contribution you made to daytime television. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. If it were up to me you know that you'd get all the awards, today and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment